“When you’re humble, you’re teachable.”
Kelly Slater (@kellyslater) is widely considered the greatest surfer of all time. He holds nearly every major record in the sport, including 11 world titles and 55 career victories. He also has the amazing distinction of being both the youngest and oldest world champion in men’s history. His most dominant days were the mid-’90s, when he won five straight titles between 1993 and 1998.
After topping Mark Richards’ previous record of four straight titles, Kelly tried his hand at retirement in 1999 but failed. He rejoined the tour full-time in 2002, and over the following five years faced his toughest rival in Hawaii’s Andy Irons, who got the better of him for three straight years. Their heated battles became the most compelling in the sport’s history, propelling it to new heights. Kelly finally reclaimed the title in 2005 and repeated in 2006. Kelly swapped titles with Mick Fanning in the years that followed.
Kelly will also be remembered for the wave pool technology that he and his team of engineers at Kelly Slater Wave Co. brought to life in 2015, which has the potential to reshape the surfing landscape for generations.
This episode is brought to you by Dry Farm Wines. I’m a wine drinker, and I love a few glasses over meals with friends. That said, I hate hangovers. For the last few months, all of the wine in my house has been from Dry Farm Wines. Why? At least in my experience, their wine means more fun with fewer headaches. Dry Farm Wines only ships wines that meet very stringent criteria: sugar free (less than 0.15g per glass), lower alcohol (less than 12.5% alcohol), additive free (there are more than 70 FDA-approved wine-making additives), lower sulfites, organic, and produced by small family farms.
All Dry Farm Wines are laboratory tested for purity standards by a certified, independent enologist, and all of their wines are also backed by a 100% Happiness Promise—they will either replace or refund any wine you do not love. Last but not least, I find delicious wines I never would have found otherwise. It’s a lot of fun. Dry Farm Wines has a special offer just for listeners of the podcast—an extra bottle in your first box for just one extra penny. Check out all the details at DryFarmWines.com/Tim.
This podcast episode is also brought to you by Helix Sleep! Helix was selected as the #1 best overall mattress pick of 2020 by GQ magazine, Wired, Apartment Therapy, and many others. With Helix, there’s a specific mattress for each and every body’s unique taste. Just take their quiz—only two minutes to complete—that matches your body type and sleep preferences to the perfect mattress for you. They have a 10-year warranty, and you get to try it out for a hundred nights, risk free. They’ll even pick it up from you if you don’t love it. And now, to my dear listeners, Helix is offering up to 200 dollars off all mattress orders plus two free pillows at HelixSleep.com/Tim.
This episode is also brought to you by LMNT! What is LMNT? It’s a delicious, sugar-free electrolyte drink-mix. I’ve stocked up on boxes and boxes of this and usually use it 1–2 times per day. LMNT is formulated to help anyone with their electrolyte needs and perfectly suited to folks following a keto, low-carb, or Paleo diet. If you are on a low-carb diet or fasting, electrolytes play a key role in relieving hunger, cramps, headaches, tiredness, and dizziness.
LMNT came up with a very special offer for you, my dear listeners. They’ve created Tim’s Club: Simply go to DrinkLMNT.com/TIM, select “Subscribe and Save,” and use promo code TIMSCLUB to get the 30-count box of LMNT for only $36. This will be valid for the lifetime of the subscription, and you can pause it anytime.
What was your favorite quote or lesson from this episode? Please let me know in the comments.
SCROLL BELOW FOR LINKS AND SHOW NOTES…
Want to hear another episode with someone else who’s devoted their life to their sport? Listen in on my conversation with six-time Mr. Olympia Dorian Yates, in which we discuss specific workouts, how he warms up, the realities of PEDs, common mistakes, his relationship to pain, self-talk when setting records (or bouncing back), his favorite books, and much more.
SELECTED LINKS FROM THE EPISODE
- Connect with Kelly Slater:
- Kelly Slater Wave Company
- 24/7: Kelly Slater | HBO
- Momentum Generation | HBO
- Road-Tripping Kauai with Pro Surfer Kelly Slater | Huckberry
- Tribe of Mentors: Short Life Advice from the Best in the World by Timothy Ferriss
- Reexamining Kelly Slater and Andy Irons 2003 World Title Race | X Games
- The Matrix | Prime Video
- Kelly Slater and Andy Irons, Surfing Rivals | The New York Times
- Adult Children of Alcoholics by Dr. Janet G. Woititz
- The Prophet by Kahlil Gibran
- SunLife Organics
- CliffsNotes Study Guides
- The Tao of Health, Sex, and Longevity: A Modern Practical Guide to the Ancient Way by Daniel Reid
- The Difference Between Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu and Gracie Jiu-Jitsu | Team BJJ Hashashin, Medium
- Food Combining Chart | Detoxinista
- Fit for Life by Harvey Diamond and Marilyn Diamond
- Choke: A Rickson Gracie Documentary
- Ice Bucket Challenge | Wikipedia
- Rincon | Wikipedia
- Top 5 Rickson Gracie Submissions | Jehu Media
- Big Wave Risk Assessment Group (BWRAG)
- An Incredible Rescue @ Nazaré, Portugal – 2019.11.20 | Pedro Miranda
- Best Man-Made Waves in the World: The Top 8 Wave Pools | Red Bull
- Why Skating Is So Freaking Good for Your Surfing | The Inertia
- What You Can Expect from a Shiatsu Massage | Verywell Health
- Thai Massage: 5 Benefits and Side Effects | Medical News Today
- Swedish Massage vs. Deep Tissue Massage: Which Should I Choose? | Healthline
- BioSync Research Institute
- Scoliosis Symptoms and Causes | Mayo Clinic
- Zoolander | Prime Video
- Chiropractic Adjustment | Mayo Clinic
- Searching for Bobby Fischer | Prime Video
- The Beginners’ Guide to Foil Surfing | Surfer Today
- How to Foil Pumping Hydrofoil Surfing | Horue Movie
- eFoil | Lift
- Cocoa Beach | Florida
- Ron Jon Surf Shop
- America’s Cup
- Kennedy Space Center | Cape Canaveral
- Phantom High-Speed Cameras
- Minor Tsunami Damage in Latin America | ABC News Australia
- Complete Guide to Living the Van Life | The Vanual
Note from the editor: Timestamps will be added shortly.
- Why is Kelly taking a two-hour bath today?
- What is Kelly’s traditional morning drink?
- Kelly elaborates on what he confessed in Tribe of Mentors to be the failure that set him up for later success: losing the world title race to Andy Irons in 2003.
- How long did it take for Kelly to learn — and recover — from this loss, and what did this period of time look like? What was the turnaround point?
- Kelly fills us in on the unhealthy survival skills he learned during childhood in spite of his mom’s best efforts to protect him and his siblings from reality’s harshest edges, and how these days shaped him into the man he would become — one who would grow less shy about signing autographs and having his picture taken.
- What prompted Kelly’s friend to motivate him toward becoming a mediator in the middle of his family’s chaos?
- How did The Prophet by Kahlil Gibran come to influence Kelly?
- What was Kelly’s introduction to The Tao of Health, Sex, and Longevity by Daniel Reid, and what impact has it had on his life?
- What similarities and differences does Kelly see between himself and Rickson Gracie? What advice from Rickson did he thankfully choose not to follow, and what has he been grateful to learn from him?
- Why new surfers might want to pay close attention to the wisdom that the Big Wave Risk Assessment Group (BWRAG) can impart — now more than ever.
- In what direction does Kelly see the evolution of surfing headed? Does he foresee anything that might surprise the rest of us in the next five years?
- What advice might Kelly give his 20-year-old self about the learning process to improve his craft with the knowledge he has today?
- What type of bodywork does Kelly find ideal for his needs?
- Why does Kelly consider Thai massage “lazy man’s yoga?”
- How often does Kelly have bodywork done?
- What is Kelly’s opinion of foiling or eFoiling as a supplement or adjunct to surfing?
- Has Kelly had any amazing moments on the water that, for some reason or another, didn’t get captured on camera but live on only in memory?
- What personal goals is Kelly most looking forward to pursuing in the next few years?
- Why Kelly is happy to share what he knows with the younger surfers who aren’t afraid to ask for it.
- Parting thoughts.
- Mark Richards
- Andy Irons
- Mick Fanning
- Tom Carroll
- Young Kelly and His Family
- Joel Parkinson
- Shane Dorian
- Trevor Hendy
- Kahlil Gibran
- Khalil Rafati
- Daniel Reid
- The Gracie Family
- Rickson Gracie
- Wim Hof
- Jackson Dorian
- John John Florence
- Gabriel Medina
- Jordy Smith
- Josh Waitzkin
- Marcello Garcia
- Michael Jordan